||The Centre for History and Paleography (CH&P) operates as a department
of the National Bank of Greece Cultural Foundation. It was founded in 1974
to microfilm manuscripts and historical archives of Greek interest. Since
its foundation the Centre has conducted 140 missions in Greece and abroad.
Its resources now include 1880 microfilms of 1.5 million black and white
photos and 2000 colour slides. Furthermore, it holds a collection of 100
historical manuscripts and 600 early printed books, together with a modern
and specialised library collection on Paleography and Manuscript studies.
Its services have expanded from this primary archiving role such that
it now also operates as an information and educational centre providing
information and resources on Paleography, Archives Science and Textology.
The main building at the Centre includes a reading room where researchers
(550 per year) can study the microfilm collection or the original manuscripts.
The director of the Centre organises a three-year non-degree course on
Greek Paleography. This course is mainly addressed to a specialised clientele,
such as university students and researchers of medieval history and literature.
The Centre annually publishes the "Yearbook of CH&P" to report
on its activities together with the results of research conducted by its
The CH&P includes an information centre detailing the location of
historical documentation. It is an important source for conducting studies
and research on Greek history during the period of Venetian Rule. In particular,
it holds old printed books and microfilms of material concerning the Greek
territory or the Hellenic Diaspora. The material on microfilm is from State
or County Archives (County Archives of Corfu and Naxos), libraries (Zosimea
Public Library of Ioannina), Orthodox monasteries (Monastery of St. Denis
in Zante and Oblou Monastery in Patras), Catholic dioceses (Diocese of
Naxos and Tinos), private archives (collections of Milonopoulos and Androutsellis-Theotochis
families) and the archives of the Greek Confraternity of Venice.